Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Travelling Bees

Had a small fright at the tennis courts today. Here we were enjoying our game of tennis, almost like these two in the pic below.


I was taking a rest while my wife played on with her friend. It was a cloudy day and I was wary of the rain clouds looming above us. Suddenly I saw little drops on the ground and immediately I grabbed the tennis bag and wanted to head for cover in the pavilion. My friend from the next court shouted to me saying, "Bees! Bees!". I looked around but never thought of looking up. My wife suddenly screemed and said look up.

There were so many of them, it was a sea of blackness. We all started running to the next court but it looked like they were following us. We ran again to the 3rd court and still it looked like we were being followed. By this time we decided to run to the right - to the adjacent court. Suddenly they were not following us anymore. Actually, they were migrating and we were running along their path. Fortunately nobody got stung. Those little droplets were actually drops of honey. There was a strong smell of honey in the air after the bees had left.

The court attendant told us these type of honey bees won't attack if you don't disturb them. Yeah right! So we said goodbye to the bees and continued the wonderful game of tennis. There were one or two bees that got lost, so we gave them the plan to their home.

No comments: