Monday, December 26, 2005

Evacuation

The flood waters finally came into our house in the early hours of the morning while I was out surveying the neighbourhood in my wellingtons. My wife frantically called me on the cell phone to inform me of this new threat to our castle (a man's home is his castle). I rushed back or waded back as fast as I could and we gathered all our important belongings and drove through the flood waters to safety which was actually the southern part of our city.

Our close friends(husband & wife) invited us to stay at their house until the flood subsides. We are grateful to have such friends who can come to our aid in time of need. In fact we had several choices actually as we have quite a number of good friends in this city.

Anyway most of our neighbourhood was inundated with filthy, smelly flood waters. In general it was about knee high although in some places it was a few inches but neverthless once the waters gets into the house there will be a layer of mud deposited in every nook and corner. We were more fortunate than the Jitra folks who faced the water level as high as one's chest or even higher. I managed to get some pics of the flood at it's peak and also took some of the places that were bone dry just to see the contrast within the same city. The other half of the city had a better drainage system. Somebody better do something about this before history repeats itself.

We moved into our house last night after cleaning up the place for three days. It was a back breaking job. They say this flood has a 17 year cycle. I will be 73 if it happens again and I don't think I can do this type of house cleaning at that age, if I live that long that is!



Friends dropped by when the flood was receding.

































More Flood Pics

Our Porch

















Side Of House

In Front Of The House



Early Morning View At the Front


Indian Temple Near The Stadium

Entrance To The Royal Kedah Club

Another Friend's House

The Southern Part Of Our City Which Was Bone Dry

Friend's House On The Right(where we took refuge)

Alor Star Tower

Alor Star Fountain

Siamese Temple

Telok Wanjah Road

Mother And Son Having Breakfast

4 comments:

sc said...

Wow, that's scary! I'm glad it's over and you all survived. Thanks for the pics: they let me see what really happened. My parents' place off Jln Teluk Wanjah was thankfully unaffected otherwise it would have been hard for them for they are much older than you!

sc said...

Wow, that's scary! I'm glad it's over and you all survived. Thanks for the pics: they let me see what really happened. My parents' place off Jln Teluk Wanjah was thankfully unaffected otherwise it would have been hard for them for they are much older than you!

David BC Tan said...

hope everything is cleaned up. it looks like it's worse than the sort of floods we used to experience in lorong pendekar years ago...
if it's any consolation, happy new year!

Siva said...

We still have the store room to clean. Saved it for last as there are too many things that we left on the floor. Sure have to throw away many things. Chipboard furniture soaked up the water and buckled. Anyway, a very Happy New Year to you and family.