Sunday, January 28, 2007

I'm Still Alive

I came across this humorous poem in one of our local newspapers entitled 'I'm Still Alive'. I just had to post it as you don't come across such humour that often.

I’m Still Alive

Just a line to say I’m living,
That I’m not among the dead;
Though I’m getting more forgetful,
And more “mixed up” in the head.

For sometimes I can’t remember,
When I stand at the foot of the stairs,
If I must go up for something,
Or I’ve just come down from there.

And before the fridge so often
My poor mind is filled with doubt,
Have I just put food away, or
Have I come to take some out.

And there are times when it is dark out,
With my nightcap on my head,
I don’t know if I’m retiring,
Or just getting out of bed.

So if it’s my turn to write,
There’s no need in getting sore.
I may think that I have written,
And don’t want to be a bore.

So remember I do love you,
And I wish that you were here.
But now it’s nearly mail time,
So I must say, “Goodbye, dear.”

There I stood beside the mailbox,
With a face so very red,
Instead of mailing you my letter,
I had opened it instead!

Originally posted at Seniors-Site.Com
[http://seniors-site.com/poetry/mixedup.html
Sent in by dicgall@worldnet.att.net -- My Aunt of 81 years gave it to me and said she had had it for some time. Thanks.]

2 comments:

David BC Tan said...

Sorry to burst your bubble but this so-called gentleman from Penang did not compose the said poem. Go to
http://seniors-site.com/poetry/mixedup.html

With the internet so accessible, there is no reason why we should not verify the stuff we receive more. What wre the Star editors doing?

Having said that, it does not mean it was not funny. I thought it was poignant and well thought, whoever the original writer was.

Siva said...

I checked it out.The person who posted the poem did not even claim it as his. His aunt gave it to him!. This Penang guy is very dishonest la.