Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Househusband?


As I was driving my son to school, I was listening to the car radio and the DJ threw a question to those wives who were listening. He asked them to call and tell if their husbands helped with the chores around the house.

There were many wives phoning in to tell their story. One told how her husband did the cooking. He would always make a mess of the kitchen but it was worth it as his cooking was very good. Then there was this lady who said that her husband was very understanding and would help her mop the floor. One guy even phoned in to tell that most husbands would help at home but the degree of 'help' would be different.

There was this fiery lady who called in and asked what do you mean by help? Isn't it supposed to be a partnership? Isn't the house ours and aren't we both living in it? Why is it that when he does something it is called help and when I do it, it is my job? I think the chores around the house should be the responsibility of both the husband and wife.


She sounded like my wife! I agree with her though. It not only involves both parties but includes anyone living in the same house which means the kids as well. We don't have a policy of paying our children to put out the trash or wash the car or wipe the furniture. That is part and parcel of staying in the house and enjoying all the benefits that goes with it. We have come to an understanding in which I do the things that she cannot do and she does the things that I am not 'good at'. So far it has worked fine with us. The boys have learned to do their chores without grumbling and I hope it helps with their family life in the future.

1 comment:

Siva said...

Reminds me of my bachelor days in Johor. Three people sharing one house. Everyone takes care of their own room only. There is a footpath leading to the bathroom and toilet and to the main door! The rest is covered with dirt. hahahaha ....