Monday, August 14, 2006

Indian Delicacies

When I say Indian, I don't mean the whole of India but only to the southern part specifically, Tamil Nadu. I was not born there but my father was. I have vivid memories of that place as it was such a long time ago when he took me there.

Being married to a Chinese I have lost touch with the Indian food. I remember my mother used to cook a type of curry from a leafy vegetable. It is called 'keerae kari' and with just that curry I could finish two plates of rice. Of course the 'achar' will be there to boost the taste buds and a glass of 'moeru'.

Then there was the 'mochukotai and karuvadoo'(a type of beans with anchovies) curry. Where to find all these!!! I liked her 'nandu'(crab) curry with 'rasum'(a type of soup) the best. This dish I still get to eat once a year at my friend's place during Deepavali celebration. This is a finger licking good Indian dish.

My mother also cooked 'sambar', which we ate with rice and fried fish. Sometimes she fried the fish with a little vinegar. Fantastic stuff! The combination of the meat and vegetables plays an important part in the alluring taste of the recipe.

My brothers and sisters are into vegetarian stuff. Not my cup of tea. But they are an understanding lot and when we meet during Deepavali, there will be chicken or mutton curry for us.

3 comments:

blurred esh said...

you've got my mouth all watery already la, uncle siva.
after eating those food.. then have a nice cup of hot kopi-o..

wahh... luxurious living!

Siva said...

That was long ago story la ... nowadays only 'kondo mee', 'koay teow teng', 'mee abu', toasted bread with milo or kopi peng onli .... heh heh.

Siva said...

There is one Indian restaraunt in the town center behind Jalan Langgar. One fine day we go there to taste their style of cooking. May not be as good as my mother's or Thiaga's wife's crab curry ... heh heh.