Monday, March 20, 2006

Another Setback

Just when I was enjoying myself with my early morning walks and the tennis in the evenings disaster struck. I had arranged for a game of doubles at 5.30pm. We had to finish the game by 6.30pm as my wife and I had to attend a dinner at 7.30pm. Everything was going smoothly. My wife and I won the first set. During the second set I was at the net trying to poach when the calf muscle of my left leg gave way. I think they are called 'gastrocnemis' and 'soleus'.


I couldn't move as any slight movement caused pain at the calf. The muscles there were tightening. That was the end of the game for me. Fortunately there was a lady tennis player who was warming up at the retaining wall. She gladly took my place. I was carried out of the court. I was also 'carried' to the car by my wife and my lady opponent who is also a good friend.

Went home and applied a cold pack at the wounded part. Nothing else to do. Now using crutches to move around. I found this pic showing how to treat an injured calf muscle.


Missed the dinner. This means at least two weeks of rest. The orthopaedic surgeon (who was one of my opponents-the other was an orthodontist) said the key word is rest. That settles it. Back to the keyboard and the tv remote. Maybe by two weeks my fingers and arms will be stronger. heh heh..

No comments: